Your wedding is one of the most significant occasions in your life. A time when you gather with your family and friends to publicly celebrate the love you share. St John’s Uniting Church Essendon provides a beautiful setting and environment for weddings. The prayerful intimacy of this sanctuary, with its pipe organ and stained glass makes it a popular venue for many couples.
You are welcome to contact our Minister to arrange to come in and savour the beauty of our Church.
What happens at a wedding?
- The Minister welcomes everyone present and reminds them of God’s purposes in instituting marriage.
Marriage is given that husband and wife
may enrich and encourage each other
in every part of their life together…
- There are readings from the Bible and an opportunity to hear what the wisdom of the Scriptures have to say about marriage.
- The bride and the groom promise to give themselves to one another “for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, so long as we both shall live.”
- Wedding rings are blessed and exchanged as a sign of the vows that have been taken, and that the commitment is unending.
- The Minister blesses the married couple. Prayers are offered by everyone present for the couple and their future together.
Investing in your relationship
The relationship you share as a couple is special. At St John’s Uniting Church Essendon we encourage couples to undertake a marriage preparation course.
There are two options:
- You can undergo a period of preparation with our Minister, which could involve doing Prepare, a computer based questionnaire. This is a tool that helps you to identify the strengths in your relationship and the areas that you need to work on. OR
- You could undertake a marriage preparation course. LifeWorks brochures detailing course and cost information are available by contacting our Church Office.
In the course of your time of preparation our Minister will also guide you through the Wedding Ceremony, and help you with choices for readings and music.
Organist and Music
The church has a pipe organ and our Organist, Mr Peter Jackson, would be very pleased to talk about music with you. We welcome soloists and other musical requests.
We would be pleased to receive your enquiries about the possibility of celebrating your marriage at St John’s Uniting Church, Essendon. For more information and booking please contact the Office.
Please remember to make sure the date and time of your wedding ceremony is confirmed prior to finalising arrangements for the reception.
To go deeper you might like to read DocByte_Marriage
The Uniting Church in Australia’s National Working Group on Doctrine has now prepared discussion starters known as DocBytes. These two-page publications aim to encourage theological thinking on specific topics across the Uniting Church.